London Calling
Pascale History More

Howdy!

I am Pascale and will be living in London for a while. You can read all about my brain-dead tourist situations, embarrassing cultural mistakes and see all the pictures and videos I make. I will also post some proper blogs about the work I do to please my parents and teachers. I'd appreciate it if you left a comment. Use the links underneath the top picture to navigate.













 readers online



Follow London Calling Pascale

Gay

Tuesday 1 February 2011 21:27

I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole Catholic thing at school. It's not like the religion is forced on me (they don't ask me to pray or whatever) but I get incredibly self-conscious when there's a priest having lunch at the same table as me. I'm lucky that I'm not with a classroom teacher, so I don't experience all the praying and the worshiping that goes on in each class, but today I operated in a Catholic point of view - it was awkward.

There was a group of little children who have problems detecting sounds in words - they don't necessarily understand it when words rhyme. So, today we were looking for words that end in -ay as an exercise to see that all these words sound the same, but all have a different meaning. All was fun and games, until one little girl raised her hand and said "I know one! Gay!"

It's not that I have a problem with it, but I could see Helen sit up in her chair and about to jump in to correct the little girl. This is where I usually wouldn't even have batted an eyelash. Gay is a perfectly normal word - it exists, some people are it, what's the big deal right? But then, now I'm meant to teach from a Catholic point of view. Before anyone could say anything, I said "Yes, gay, as in very happy. Good girl." SAVED THE DAY. No problem.

Today I met one of the speech therapists who comes in once or twice a week together with another speech therapist. I told her that we actually get speech therapy at our university and she was so shocked and amazed that she might as well could've burst into tears of happiness. She asked me to get a bunch load of information so she could see if she could do some work at teacher training colleges in England as well as on primary schools.

I just had dinner with Joselyn, and on Thursday I'm meeting Carys again. We're going flat hunting before we're heading down to the ITV studios for the recording of Comedy Rocks with Jason Manford. McFly's the performing band and we've managed to bag ourself priority tickets (she got 6, I have 2... I'm sure we won't need THAT many tickets, but they might come in handy anyway). In the weekend I might meet Maddie, a friend of mine from Norway who I didn't know had moved to London permanently! There's a huge Chinese New Year party happening in China Town on Sunday so we might go and have a look down there!

Also delighted to hear that some of my classmates are planning a trip to London! YAY!!
21:27 share!