London Calling
Pascale History More

Howdy!

I am Pascale and will be living in London for a while. You can read all about my brain-dead tourist situations, embarrassing cultural mistakes and see all the pictures and videos I make. I will also post some proper blogs about the work I do to please my parents and teachers. I'd appreciate it if you left a comment. Use the links underneath the top picture to navigate.













 readers online



Follow London Calling Pascale

My first Mass

Friday 4 February 2011 19:01


St Christina's School

Today I was in Nursery for most of the time. There's meant to be four adults there (two outside and two inside as the children can choose if they want to play inside or outside). Today one of the Nursery staff was ill, as was another teacher from Reception. Helen covered Reception whilst I covered Nursery. It's actually a lot of fun - it's basically playing with a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds, running around outside because there's monsters in the shed and all that.

Then at 2pm, I was about to witness my first 'Mass'...


The Chapel of St Christina's School

Mass. Mass is the Eucharistic celebration in the Latin liturgical rites of the Roman Catholic Church. The term is used also of similar celebrations in Old Catholic Churches, in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of Anglicanism, in Western Rite Orthodox Churches, in Lutheran churches, and in a small number of High Church Methodist parishes. The Catholic Church sees the Mass as the most perfect way it has to offer latria (adoration) to God.

So basically a whole load of singing and praying and worshiping to an invisible man up in the sky that I don't believe is really there. I felt so incredibly out of place... especially after watching the film Zeitgeist the other week (you HAVE to watch that, it's amazing!). I'm not Catholic and I'm 99% sure that the Priest knows this. He kept glaring at me as he was reading out these ridiculous stories from the bible. To make things a little worse, Gabrielle was sat next to me and behind me were a load of parents who are free to join the Mass if they want. They were all singing along and doing these little 'amen' and 'the holy spirit' things where you move your arms and I was just sat there, boiling inside, wanting to jump up and scream "THIS IS ALL BULLSHIT!" Especially when this Priest asked us to stand up and shake the hand of your neighbours and say 'Peace be with you.' I demonstratively didn't move a muscle, pretending to be stupid and foreign. I think from now on I might keep myself busy doing something else during Mass. That was once, and never again.
19:01 share!