London Calling
Pascale History More

Howdy!

I am Pascale and will be living in London for a while. You can read all about my brain-dead tourist situations, embarrassing cultural mistakes and see all the pictures and videos I make. I will also post some proper blogs about the work I do to please my parents and teachers. I'd appreciate it if you left a comment. Use the links underneath the top picture to navigate.













 readers online



Follow London Calling Pascale

Channel 4 Documentaries

Thursday 10 February 2011 19:42

I already knew that Channel 4 did the most amazing documentaries, but I never actually got to see any of them. Since the day I arrived I have been following Big Fat Gypsy Weddings - it's so shocking but I love it so much. It's basically a camera crew following different gypsies, or travelers as they're called, and see how they get on. Oh, and of course, there's alway a wedding involved where 5 year-olds get fake tans and dance like Beyoncé in bikinis. It's horrible, but very entertaining!

Yesterday at work my timetable started to take shape. I have a couple of pupils that I see every day to do reading, phonics and comprehension with. It's a lot of fun now that I know a lot of names from children in all different classes of the school. The children call me Miss Pascale (because Miss van der Burg usually ends up in Miss Thunderbird). One of the big differences with English pupils and Dutch ones is that I don't have to earn respect - I just receive it because I'm an adult and they are obliged to respect me. It's pretty awesome.

Today was fun too! There was a gymnastics display of Year 5 and Year 6 today which admittedly was little bit boring to watch for an hour, but I could definitely see how much the girls enjoyed showing off what they had learned in P.E. It's a bit like a stage performance, the parents come to watch as does the rest of the school, and they have spent lesson after lesson to prepare the routines.

Justin, the Year 3 teacher, finds it very amusing to throw me off my English by suddenly saying all these Dutch things to me; yesterday when I was walking downstairs, ready to go home, I passed his classroom and peeped in to say goodbye. He then casually went: "Fijne middag! Tot morgen!" I was so stunned that I didn't even know what to say back. I just stood there, awkwardly in his doorway as he smiled at me. Then he burst out laughing, and said "Sorry, was that a bit out of context for you?!" I guess it shouldn't really be weird, but it REALLY is the oddest thing to hear someone speak your language when you really don't expect it.

Tomorrow I'm off to Birmingham. I might get my face on TV tomorrow as well... Comedy Rocks, ITV1, 9pm. Check it... or don't - it'll all be on youtube shortly after anyways :)
19:42 share!