London Calling
Pascale History More

Howdy!

I am Pascale and will be living in London for a while. You can read all about my brain-dead tourist situations, embarrassing cultural mistakes and see all the pictures and videos I make. I will also post some proper blogs about the work I do to please my parents and teachers. I'd appreciate it if you left a comment. Use the links underneath the top picture to navigate.













 readers online



Follow London Calling Pascale

How to measure 'being religious'?

Friday 18 February 2011 16:29


Helen's little classroom/office

Today was a short but fun day! I managed to figure out who all the 'fun' people are on the staff (the people that actually drink and go wild at school nights). I was in Nursery all day today (we finished at 1:30pm because of halfterm) and Anna - one of the Nursery teachers - sort of started questioning me about the Dutch schools. Do we wear uniforms? Are all our schools gender-mixed? What about religious schools? She wasn't at all surprised at my answers and in fact told me that she thinks England is a bit old fashioned when it comes to education. She then told me to read this article she found on the internet about why single-sex schools are bad for your health (if you're a boy), only to add that this is probably why the men from England are 'insane' (her words).

The talk of the day was the Quiz Night the school had had for charity last evening. I was going to attend but I felt a bit poop yesterday, so I decided to go to bed early. I regret this now though, hearing all the stories of drunk staff and parents who did silly dances up on the stage in the school hall. A couple of teachers went out afterwards as well and Megan, one of the PE teachers, showed me a video of Allan - the Music Director - doing tumbles on the rails in the tube whilst incredibly drunk.


The display that I created!

Now... I am completely confused about a couple of things. To me, a school doesn't get much more religious than St Christina's... I mean, the classroom teacher of Year 6 is a priest for crying out loud! But yet, several teachers (I'm only 100% sure of 1 of them, he also has a boyfriend) are gay, we all openly discuss drinking nights out and people tell how completely hammered they were (most of these stories really are hilarious) and there's a fair share of gossiping every lunch break about teachers that aren't in the same room! I'm so confused - I have absolutely no idea where the line is between being religious and being, in my opinion, a normal person! I wouldn't know when someone goes 'too far' in anything, because I'm not sure how you measure 'being religious'...

Oh by the way, I reaaally enjoy reading your messages, so make sure you leave one at the top of my page!
16:29 share!