London Calling
Pascale History More

Howdy!

I am Pascale and will be living in London for a while. You can read all about my brain-dead tourist situations, embarrassing cultural mistakes and see all the pictures and videos I make. I will also post some proper blogs about the work I do to please my parents and teachers. I'd appreciate it if you left a comment. Use the links underneath the top picture to navigate.













 readers online



Follow London Calling Pascale

Bizarre Night Out

Thursday 24 March 2011 17:28

Yesterday I went to a free gig type of thing in a club (oohh Miss Pascale went out on a school night - naughty!) at Piccadilly Circus. Initially I was gonna go with Elena but two other Dutch girls, Robin and Suzanne (who I had never met before, but they had both approached me via social networking websites) joined us. Olly, Mike and their mates were there too and I hadn't seen them since I was homeless so that was pretty cool.

The event was organised by The Sun (apparently they do these things more often) and you apply for tickets. This evening girlband Parade and my favourite band McFly would perform as well as a couple of DJs. The club Piccadilly Institute is fairly new and has about 7 different 'rooms' that all play different music - Suzanne and I already decided to go back there another time to do some random clubbing. Parade were on at 11 and played three songs... then we waited three full hours because McFly's tourbus had broken down so instead of 1am, they arrived at 2am and played four songs. Now, this 'stage' they were on was about 20 cm high and there was only about half a meter between the crowd and the band - if I wanted to, I could lean over and hug them. Needless to say I got some amazing pictures and I filmed their acoustic cover (this was completely improvised but very awesome) of Tinie Tempah's Pass Out.

Then at about 2:30am Elena and I said goodbye to Suzanne, got in a taxi to Elena's place and quickly went to sleep... and four hours later we had to get up. I thought I'd be far more tired than I actually am so that's not too bad. Also, Elena made me some Italian coffee - holy crap, I absolutely love it!

Today it was Open Morning at school - BIG DEAL! Parents (with little children or even babies) came to visit the school from 9am til 12am. All children had to look their best (uniforms straight, collars sorted out etc.) and they were all told to be extra sensible because there were visitors in school today. I didn't have to do a lot, I only had to tell children to behave when parents were given tours by the Year 6 girls. At break time I had a nice chat with Justin (the Year 3 teacher) and David, one of the music teachers who is here a couple of days each week. We were discussing the differences between the English school and Dutch schools - especially the outlook of schools and the behaviour of teachers towards pupils. Justin is from South Africa and he too finds that the schools here look, from the outside, as if they aren't very strict (every little bit of wall is covered with bright, colourful displays, it's nearly impossible to see which colours the walls are originally painted in) but in reality, English schools are much stricter. Justin told me that he recognised a lot of the things I mentioned since he felt the same way when he came to England for the first time. He thinks the displays might not be as distracting to pupils as he initially thought because they are used to it, but sometimes it really is visual noise - that's one of the reasons why he's the only teacher in the school that keeps his windows free and clean.

David was telling this super complicated story with lots of long difficult words and then went; "How about you Pascale? How does that work for you?" I didn't understand the question, so how was I going to produce an answer that would make sense, let alone be intelligent?! So, I just stared in space, thinking that if I wouldn't move or look at them, they might forget that I was there and carry on their conversation without me. Justin then went; "Well, what do you like more, Dutch or English?" which is a question that's got no big words, so I understood and was able to answer. English. Justin then leaned back and said "I knew you were gonna say that. You look like you prefer English over any other language. You drag it along with you." So either Justin's a mindreader or a flirty creep. He also complimented me on my English and said that he finds it has changed a lot from since I first got here. That's a first - I don't think my accent has changed much, but he definitely detected change. Apparently I now speak much softer (not volume wise though... my voice will always be loud) and it's 'got a nice flow' to it. Nice.

Also! Today Helen told me that Liam Gallagher's stepson, James Kerr (whose father Simple Minds singer Jim kerr was previously married to Liam's now ex-wife Patsy Kensit), used to go to St Christina's School and that Liam used to drop him off and pick him up. How glamorous! Thought that was worth a share!
17:28 share!